17 September 2014

Banana & Chocolate Muffins

BY Unknown IN , , 2 comments

I haven't been having the best week and I was debating as to whether or not to post something here. But then I thought writing was my outlet, this is where I can think aloud and just have a yarn.

Everything that has happened this week makes me think how different my life is now to what I imagined it would be. How my priorities have changed after marriage, after kids. I was never one of those girls who wanted to have a houseful of babies, who just wanted to get married and have babies and stay home with them. I mean, I was okay with kids but it wasn’t my thing. Kids never found me endearing whereas my husband is just the opposite. Even an absolute stranger baby would just jump into his arms!

I was unprepared for how completely life changing I found motherhood, how I found joy here. People tell you a lot about how much parenting will change your life and they’re right. But usually they mean that you won’t ever sleep in again (you won’t) and a few other things about how much we “give up” to become parents. No one tells you how much you’re going to laugh. No one tells you how much wisdom resides in these small humans, how much they will teach you about love and life and friendship and forgiveness and worship. No one tells you how good and freeing it is to leave your selfishness behind.

Now my husband and my kids are my life, my top priority.Everything else comes second. My heart breaks and aches every time anyone of them gets hurt or upset. I wish I could bear all their aches and pains and wrap them in wool and put them away from harms way. But I know I can't and every ache and pain they go through will only make them stronger. I have to believe that. For them. For me, for my sanity...

Hmmm ok I know I'm getting carried away. As usual. Too much of deep thinking here for a Friday!  I'll stop now. J

Moving on, these have got to be the most delicious banana muffins you'll have ever tasted! Forget those doughy,  banana bran muffins, these banana and chocolate muffins literally melt in your mouth.
This is the sort of recipe to have around when you get one of those calls to say you're getting visitors in a few minutes. I've made this so many times, I almost know the recipe by heart now :)

I had some bananas that were going black and of course chocolate. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever NOT had chocolate in the house! JJJJJ Anyways, these muffins are a bit on the dense side, but full of flavor and really moist. Plus, they rise up beautifully! These are great for a snack on the go or even breakfast. ENJOY!






Banana & Chocolate Marbled Muffins

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar (well packed)
150g butter, melted
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
3/4 cup mashed banana
2 eggs
3oz bittersweet chocolate

Method
Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Grease muffin tins or use muffin tin liners.
Sift the dry ingredients together and make a well in the centre.
Melt the butter and golden syrup together.
Add the vanilla essence and bananas to the butter mix. Then add the eggs.
Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Remove 1/2 banana batter, mix in 3oz melted chocolate to one half.
To each muffin liner, add 1 medium scoop of banana batter, 1/2 small scoop chocolate batter, 1/2 scoop medium banana batter and finally 1/2 small scoop chocolate batter. Swirl gently with a toothpick.
Bake for 12 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Honey,

    I am a regular follower of ur blog. You are doing a very good job here :) Keep it up!!

    The muffins looks yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm and am planning to try ur recipe this weekend. We don't get Golden Syrup here, actually it isn't common in Bangalore. Are there any substitutions?

    Take Care,
    Salna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Salna :) So glad to see you here!!!
      Yes I swear those muffins are good and so easy to make too. If you can't find golden syrup then you could use honey (the clear, runny type), though the flavour of the honey will come through slightly in the finished muffins. Otherwise you could use corn syrup or glucose syrup (you can get this from cake decorating suppliers and somethimes in pharmacies). You could also try using jaggery syrup, though again the flavour of the jaggery may come through in the muffins too.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)