18 March 2015

Creamy Zucchini Soup

BY Unknown IN , , , , , No comments

I do like soups on the odd occasion but I would not say I am a huge fan. There are times when I've had a soup and its completely blown me away. Like that beautiful mushroom soup the cafe next door at the university used to do, but then for some unknown reason had to go and change their recipe and it was never as good as it was the first couple of times. That was just wrong! Or the wonderful chicken and noodle soup that's just absolutely perfect for the soul when you have a cold that just refuses to go away. And also times when I have had a soup that was just as bland as canned baby food!

Soups are my usual go to when I need to use up some veggies hiding in the fridge and I have no idea how to use them in a curry or might not have enough to make a thoran (Kerala stir fry). Also I feel they are perfectly comforting for the dark and grey weather we are having in New Zealand at the moment.

I think I may have found another recipe to add to my list of favorite soups.This zucchini/courgette soup is just perfect for that midweek meal that takes under 30 minutes to whip up and its one pot dish so less mess to clean up afterwards. Need I say more??

There are many many ways you can change this soup to suit your taste buds. I found that just using black pepper as per the original recipe did not spice it up enough for me so I added some additional green chilies to take it up a notch and loved the hint of chili with the creamy soup.  I'd skip the chilies when making this for the kids, or better yet just add them in after you've kept some soup aside for the little ones. If you're battling a cold or a flu adding some ginger and turmeric into this soup can also help you feel better and might be just as magical as that chicken soup!

This is a simple recipe that is also quite healthy if you ditch the cheese and olive oil or maybe use it sparingly. Serve it hot or cold paired with some delicious toast for a scrumptious light lunch or dinner.



Creamy Zucchini Soup
Adapted from: Skinny Taste

Ingredients:
1 small onion diced
4 cloves garlic
4 medium zucchini, skin on cut in large chunks
500 ml Vegetable stock (or more if you want a thinner soup)
2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
3 green chilies, sliced (optional)
Salt and black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Olive oil (optional)

Method:
1. Combine vegetable stock, onion, garlic, chilies and zucchini in a large pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
2. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to blend in a mixie/blender. Or if you have an immersion blender just purée with an immersion blender directly, no need to cool.
4. Add the sour cream and purée again until smooth.
5. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to taste.
6. Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and drizzle some olive oil. Serve hot.


Notes:

  • It doesn't matter how you cut the zucchini since you’re cooking it until it’s very soft and then puréeing it.
  • You can also use chicken stock and might just taste even better. I used vegetable as we are meat free during lent.
  • If you don't have sour  cream, you can use fresh cream too. Add it in at step 4 but return to the stove on low heat until hot but not boiling.
  • You can add more stock or water if you don't like your soup too thick.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)