08 June 2012

A Winter Warmer - Chicken Risotto

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , , No comments


Winter's finally here in our part of the world.  I have to say, this has to be my least favorite season of the year. I've never really been a cold person. I like cool stuff, like some cool fresh juice on a hot summery day and ice cubes in my drink. But I draw the line at that. That's the coldest I can bear.


I'll let you in on a secret. I usually microwave my ice cream for 5 seconds before I eat it. That's how much I dislike anything really cold. OK, OK, you can stop making those weird faces at me now. Everyone has their secret little quirks, and this is mine!!! Why, you ask? Well, the truth be told, I don't know. Its not like I have sensitive teeth or anything. Its just that I like my ice cream to be a little less colder so I can actually enjoy its flavor rather than have my mouth go numb with the cold.

So, like I was saying winter is here in Christchurch and we have had our very first snow(and hopefully last!!!) of the season. With the cold, comes the so very unwelcome flu season and Issac and I have been battling the worst flu for over a week now. Issac got it first and after a tiring week of hospital stays, antibiotics, ear infections, coughs and colds,tears and tantrums he is finally getting better. But I managed to get it from him and have been feeling lousy for days.

And so, yesterday I was trying to figure out what I could make easily that both Issac and I could eat, saving me from having to cook two dishes. I wanted something that would warm me right down to my soul as even at 12 pm yesterday afternoon it was minus 3 degrees Celsius outside!

As I searched my pantry for potential ingredients, I found some Arborio Rice we recently bought. So I decided on Risotto as its a great dish for both adults and kids alike. Its a comfort food that it so simple to make and tastes delicious! Issac hasn't really got his appetite back after his fever and so I was giddy with joy when he wolfed down the risotto. This dish definitely gets an A++ from us.

Just before I get into the recipe, here are a couple of great photos an extremely talented  young friend of mine, Shawn, took of winter and fall here in Christchurch, NZ.

Shawn recently won the Indian Film Festival 2012 Short Film Competition. Way to go Shawn!!! Man of many talents, I must say J



Photo Courtesy : Shawn Thomas


Now onto today's recipe.This is a great meal that can be made earlier and frozen for later use. A nice introduction to meats this dish can be, add in other veggies for more variation such as broccoli and pumpkin!

Chicken Risotto



1 small finely chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
3 chicken tenderloins (or 1 large skinless breast)
Olive oil
1 diced carrot (about a cup)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup of risotto rice (Arborio rice)
3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock

Heat olive oil in a large pot.
Sautee onion and garlic slowly until translucent.
Add the diced carrot and cook for around 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Then add the chicken and continue cooking until it is cooked through.
Stir in the peas and cover for about 2 – 4 minutes.
Add the rice and stir constantly for around 1 minute (you may need to add more oil at this point if the rice looks too dry).
Then add sufficient stock to cover the whole mixture and leave to cook uncovered.
Basically from here you just need to stir every now and then and keep adding more stock each time so there is always liquid in the pot.
Continue until the rice is tender and creamy (this will take about half an hour give or take).


Yummy Risotto is ready to serve! 








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)