12 March 2014

Jumbo M&M Cookies/Rainbow Cookies

BY Unknown IN , 2 comments

I know I've been MIA the last couple of weeks but I've just been pretty busy with life in general. But I must admit, I've certainly missed not being able to write here. But I promise today's recipe was well worth the wait! :)


But before we get to that, some chitty-chat! Chackochi is is 8 months old and I have to confess I am exhausted. These past few nights have been horrendous for both of us, maybe more so for him. I think it may be because he is finally cutting his tooth. He is miserable at night and nothing I do seems to help. He goes to sleep for ten minutes and then wakes wanting to comfort-nurse and I’m trying, really I am, but I’m running on fumes in the day. He never liked the soother,so now I get to be the pacifier. Yay, me! I just hope the tooth comes out soon and puts him out of his misery.

Teething meltdown aside, he has been pulling himself up to stand (everywhere) and I may have to invest in a baby helmet because he keeps falling over and hitting his head. He is so much more talkative and expressive. It’s so funny to watch some of the faces he comes up with . I can't believe how fast time is flying and I am a bit sad to see my bubba growing up so soon. 


And the same goes for Kochu, he's already 2.5 years old! It seems like yesterday he was crawling around the house and getting into my cupboards and playing with my pots and pans. Kochu speaks Malayalam beautifully now, properly stringing them into sentences and he's right grammatically, most of the time! I love hearing him talk and he always has something new and funny to say and takes me by surprise every time! So proud of you darling :)
I love seeing the boys playing together. Kochu keeps Chackochi entertained most of the time, giving me time to cleanup and cook. It just melts my heart hearing them giggling away. Don't be fooled, it's not always giggles, we have our fair share of tears and tantrums in between as well!



Ok, enough of rambling for now, right? Lets get on to the yummy recipe. This is my first time effort at making cookies and am absolutely proud of the result! This gooey, chewy cookie is seriously a piece of heaven! Don't just take my word for it, try it yourself and your kids will love you for it :)

Jumbo M&M Cookies/Rainbow Cookies
Recipe adapted from Baking Illustrated

Ingredients:
makes 15  large cookies
2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
12 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup m&m’s

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are combined . Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed.


3. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together.


4. Fold in the m&m’s.


5. Divide the dough how you choose. Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball into two equal pieces. Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upwards and then squish both halves together.
So basically, you have to take the ball of cookie dough and tear it in half. Then stick them back together upside down. Crazzzzy, right?! I know. I thought so too, but it absolutely works! It allows for the perfect thickness to achieve the delicious chew which most people find quintessential in cookies.
Place the dough rough-side up on a baking sheets. If you’re doing large cookies, I’d leave about 2 inches in between each.



6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy.Take out of the oven. Doing so plays a large part in the resulting texture. Cooling the cookies on the baking sheets means they will continue to bake after being taken out of the oven, but without the circulating air of a cooling rack, they will retain their soft texture. I know it is hard to take cookies out of the oven unless they look completely done, but have faith! You don’t want to over bake these in the oven! Let cool completely then dig in!







2 comments:

  1. While the cookies seem yummy, i enjoyed more reading about boys. They seem to be the ideal brothers.
    Albert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Albert! I don't know about ideal, but they certainly do love each other (so far, anyway!).. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)