14 August 2015

Simple Batman Cake

BY Unknown IN , , , No comments

How To Make a BATMAN Cake

My eldest son turned 4 this week. Where has these 4 years gone I don't know! I can still vividly remember the sleepless nights, the feeding time tantrums, those cheeky heart-melting grins and his first words.. It seems like just yesterday Issac was still crawling around in diapers, but now he's turning into a young man!



As I look at him now I sometimes have to take a second glance because he has changed so much. My baby boy is turning into a young boy. He is always so curious and so talkative! I have to pinch myself still that I was so blessed to have such a sweet and healthy child. Yes--he has his moments but what child doesn't? He is always telling me, "I love you Amma" .Oh how I love to hear these words. It just melts my heart!

So my little man asked for a batman cake this year. To be honest, I’ll surely be glad when we are over this Super Heroes phase cos all the remaining super heroes he could ask for look darn hard to do! But for the record this Batman cake has to be the easiest cake I’ve done so far. All the frosting and decorating took me about 3 to 4 hours tops. And as soon as Issu saw the cake he said, "Wow, this cake is beautiful. Thank you Amma!" Oh, I almost hugged him to bits then & there. He was so proud of the cake that he readily posed for pics with the cake without me even asking him to.




I baked the cakes a day before and kept it in the fridge so that made the whole process a lot easier. The cake & frosting recipe are from Sweepolita. All the cakes I’ve tried from her blog have turned out perfectly and the fudge frosting was perfect, not too sweet. The cake & frosting recipe can be found here. For the decorations, I bought pre-colored fondant so this process was way easier than making my own. I got the pintables off the internet and just used them as stencils.

 I’ll give you a brief outline of the steps I did to bring this cake together but I’m sorry I don’t have any step by step pictures this time. 

First bake the cakes and allow them to cool completely. I prefer to bake the cakes a day or more ahead and refrigerate them so there are fewer crumbs when we apply the frosting.

Make the fudge frosting and fill and layer your cooled cakes. Apply your crumb coat and chill in the fridge for at least 20 mins. Apply your next layer of frosting and smooth it out as best as you can. Keep it back in the fridge to chill or just set aside while you prepare the fondant decorations.

My cakes were only an 8 inch cake so the batman logo pretty much covered the width of the cake. So I decided to cut out the yellow fondant in a circle the same diameter as my cake rather than the usual oval yellow shape the batman logo nests in. I just used a cake board I had which was the right size to cut out the circle.

Roll out a lemon size chunk of fondant and roll it out like a chappathi J. Print out the Batman logo, cut carefully around the logo. Place fondant on a sheet of baking paper, place batman logo on top of the flat fondant. Use a sharp knife to cut around the edges and remove the excess fondant. I dipped a little paint brush in some water and brushed the top of the fondant to clear away corn starch residue and also to give it a glaze. Set aside to dry.

Now repeat the same with the yellow and red fondants. For the callouts I used the template from here
I cut out the “Happy 4 B’day” and “Issac” from some bright orange fondant I had using the fondant alphabet cutters.

Add the shapes to the cake, pressing into the buttercream. I used a bit of edible adhesive to stick on the red callouts as I was scared they would just slide off. To stick the alphabets on I used my yet brush again to wet the underside of the alphabets and stick them on.


Chill until ready to serve. Voila! I told you it was easy JJ








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)