24 October 2012

5pm Panic - Tasty Toast

BY Unknown IN , , , , No comments


Issac is often really tired and hungry after a fun packed day at day care when he gets home, so the meal I offer him needs to be easy to eat and not challenge his dislikes, as the last thing I want is a meltdown.

I'm sure all mums and dads need a repertoire of tasty quick meals that can be put together in a matter of minutes. Ideally they still need to give your little one a variety of nutrients, include protein to fill up your little ones tummy and keep them full until dinner and hopefully go some way towards meeting their iron or calcium needs. When all else fails crackers with cream cheese, avocado or peanut butter , a boiled egg with soldiers or yogurt with fruit slices are pretty good options for the 5pm panic.

I've recently found that Issac likes bread and enjoys being able to walk around with it as eat it slowly, taking his time and doing his thing while eating finger foods.

My sis-in-law was the first to introduce me to the combination of jam & cottage cheese and I must I was pleasantly surprised. Cottage cheese is by far my least favorite of all cheeses, but of course it is healthier. So not only does Issac get a sweet treat, I can be happy knowing he’s also eating something healthy :)

This is just a different take on your usual French toast and really simple to make. You can be sure your kids will love you for it!

And coz last week I just went on and on about stuff, lets just get straight into it this week, shall we? I'll save my stories & nonsense for another rainy day :P

French Toast Squares

INGREDIENTS
3 slices white bread
1 tbsp sugar free fruit spread
1 tbsp cottage cheese (refer Notes)
1 egg
1 tbsp milk

METHOD
1. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into four squares.
2. Spread two slices with the jam. Spread the third slice with cottage cheese and sandwich it in between the jam slices.


3. Beat egg and milk together in a shallow dish.
4. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Dip the jam sandwich into the egg mixture and turn to coat.
5. Put the egg-coated sandwich into the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the underside is golden. Flip over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes then transfer to a plate.


6. Allow to cool slightly and check temperature before serving – be careful as the jam can become very hot.


Notes
You can use sugar free fruit spread if you want to make it extra healthy without compromising on taste.
Cream cheese is also another option to use instead of cottage cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)