01 October 2012

Oreo Pops

BY Unknown IN , , , , 5 comments

I saw these Oreo pops first in one of the photos of Nolan Paper Airlines {First Birthday Party}.



I knew I had to make these the moment I laid my eyes on them. How cool do they look? Oreo pops are one of my favorite miniature treats. A few bites of Oreo goodness, coated in chocolate, on a stick - super cute, delicious, and unbelievably easy to make.

Oreo Pops 
Ingredients:
1 package of Oreos
1 tub of cheesecake filling @ room temperature (refer Notes)
1 bag of Cadbury's Milk Chocolate Chips
1 bag of Cadbury's White Chocolate Chips
Chocolate sprinkles
Lollipop sticks

  1. Chop up those Oreos until they are a bowl of Oreo powder goodness. A food processor can be helpful here, but it's pretty easy to use your hands as well.
  2. Mix in enough filling so that the cake holds together when squeezed. You should be able to roll a firm ball that holds its shape.
  3. Refrigerate the cake balls until firm, or place in freezer. A word of caution - you do NOT want to dip frozen cake balls into chocolate! The cake will expand as it defrosts, and it will crack the chocolate coating. Firm is ok - frozen is not. If you are having problems with cracking cake pops - they are likely too cold and/or your chocolate too hot.
  4. Melt a small amount of the milk chocolate, and dip a lollipop stick in about 1/2". Stick at least half-way into cake ball (make sure you don't poke all the way through!). Repeat with remaining cake balls.
  5. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm around the lollipop stick.

  1. Melt  the white chocolate in your microwave safe bowl, according to package instructions. Make sure that you melt enough chocolate so that you can submerge the entire cake pop without tilting the bowl, and without hitting the bottom.
  2. Once cake pop is completely covered, lift it out of the chocolate.
  3. Once removed from the chocolate, excess coating will start dripping off of the pop. Hold the cake pop in one hand, and gently tap your hand to help remove excess coating, turning the pop as you go so the excess will come off evenly. 
  4. Dip cake pop into chocolate, so that it is completely submerged (make sure to cover the chocolate around the lollipop stick!). It's really important that the entire cake ball is covered with chocolate - otherwise, the cake will escape from any and every tiny hole in the chocolate (trust me, it's not pretty).
  5. When you have no drips left, hold cake pop upside down for a few seconds to allow coating to dry a bit before inverting. If you are adding sprinkles, sanding sugar, or other decorations, wait until the cake pop is about halfway dry before you start. If the coating is still too wet, the weight of the sprinkles or other decorations may displace the chocolate.
  1. Let them setup on a cookie sheet. I made them a day in advance and kept them in the fridge. You WILL need to hide them. Or make an extra batch. :)

Notes
You can use a block of cream cheese or even butter cream frosting instead of the cheesecake filling I used. It will still taste pretty awesome!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Honey,

    I love ur blog. You have a good thing going on here. I've been meaning to make these pops for a long time. I am from Bangalore and I dont think cheesecake filling is easily available. I know I can make it. I was thing of using regular icing. I wanted to ask you how much each ingredient weighs.. like the the white and milk chocolate chips.
    Thanks
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina,
    Thank you so much for the lovely comment :)
    I used 24 oreo cookies and I got about 16 oreo pops.
    The chocolate melts were 375g each, but I only used a quarter of the bag for the chocolate and the whole bag for the white chocolate dip.
    Let me know how it turns out! :)
    Cheers,
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey,
    iv been a fan of ur blog for sometime time. Some great practical recipes you have here. I have a quick question for the oreo pops. How many grams is your 1 bag of milk/ white chocolate chips? Just wanted and idea of how much to melt. Cuz i only get the cooking slab here (bangalore) in large quantity. planning to make this for my son's upcoming Batman themed 4th birthday... great work.. congrats on your little one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey.. i just saw my post i asked last year.. neevr saw your reply... please ignore the previous question.. new question: do u dip the cake pop twice in the white chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christina...
    Nice to hear from you again :)
    As for your question, no I dip it in the white chocolate only once otherwise the chocolate coating will become too thick.
    Good luck with making them, I'm sure they'll turn out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)