20 February 2014

Pesarattu/ Moong Dal (CheruPayar) Dosa/ Green Gram Crêpe

BY Unknown IN , , , 1 comment

Today's recipe is Pesarattu. Its a crepe-like bread unique to Telugu cuisine that is similar to dosa. It is made with batter of green gram (moong dal), but unlike a dosa, it does not contain urad dal.


But before we get into that there's something I would like to share with you wonderful mummies (and daddies!) out there.

Remember those days when you could easier get the chores done around the house in a couple of hours and have the rest of the day to enjoy a cup of tea, visit friends and come home to a spotless house? No, me neither!

However, if you have an active baby or toddler on your hands or worse one of each, like me, :P, then getting the housework done is even more challenging than ever before. Not only do you have a path of destruction following you around the house, but you most likely also have a baby that wants to be held or ‘help.’

So nowadays, cleaning is a hurried task I have to accomplish in between the 5 or 10 minutes of peace I get soon after feeding the kids or while they are napping. In the past, you'd find a huge range of cleaning products in my cupboard under the sink. I loved cleaning and so would buy anything that promised to keep my home clean and smelling nice. But Now with the kids, i'm more conscious as to what chemicals I use, especially to clean my kitchen as I don't want anything dangerous getting into their foods.

So I've been opting more and more for using natural remedies for cleaning. If you search Google, there are countless tips and tricks for keeping your home chemical- free and yet spotless. I never knew how easily Vinegar, Lemon and Baking soda could cut through grime and make my stainless steel stove and sink look shiny and clean. I'm a total fan of  baking soda and vinegar and don't think I'd ever buy another cleaning product ever again!
And just in case you don't believe me, here are some before and after pics of my stove. All i used to clean it was baking soda, white vinegar and water.You can be the judge :)

This is what my stove looks like after a bulk cooking session in the weekend! Yuck!!
Voila!!! I rest my case :)

A similarly awesome, cheap and chemical-free method to clean the microwave is by heating some lemon slices in a bowl of water for 30 seconds. When it’s finished – leave for about a minute to ‘steam’.  Then carefully remove the bowl and then wipe down the inside of the microwave.

Your microwave will look as good as new! I absolutely swear by this. My microwave oven has never looked better!

Now back to Pesarattu.. This is a yummy dosa you can whip up easily without waiting for the whole fermenting process. It is quite healthy but still delicious. Both my kids love it, yes even Chackochi! Its goes great with some Coconut chutney. You can adjust the spiciness of it but I made it really mild this time as I wanted to give it to Chackochi as well. Another variations of this is to top it with finely chopped onions and cilantro, but I gave that a miss this time round. I got about 20 dosas with the below quantity.Now on to the recipe...

Pesarattu/ Moong Dal (CheruPayar) Dosa/ Green Gram Crêpe

Ingredients
Cherupayar, soaked overnight - 2 cup
Rice flour 3 tbsp
Rava / Semolina -2 tbsp
Green chilli - as needed according to spice level, I used 1
Cumin Powder 1 1/4 tsp
Grated ginger 1 tsp
Curry leaves , a handful
Salt
Ghee

Method
  1. Soak cherupayar in water over night and rinse 3-4 times in water before use.
  2. Grind the cherupayar, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves, in a mixee/blender, to smooth paste using little water to get dosa batter like consistency or pouring consistency.
  3. Stir in salt, cumin powder, rice flour and rava.
  4. Heat a non stick griddle.
  5. Pour 1 ladle or 1/2 cup of batter in the center and spread in circular motion to make like dosa.
  6. Drizzle some ghee on top
  7. Cook for 1-2 minutes in high to medium flame.
  8. Flip the dosa a couple of times till both sides are well cooked and browned. Serve hot with coconut chutney or coriander chutney.







1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)