23 July 2014

Simple Banana Cake

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , 2 comments

Since making Lucas’ birthday cake I've been more and more interested in baking cakes. I've got one of my kitchen drawers filled with cake recipes I've wanted to try like forever and I've slowly started choosing one recipe for each week and make it my top priority on a Sunday morning. Another reason for doing this is to try and decide on a cake flavor for Kochu’s upcoming birthday. So I’ll try the different cakes and see which one he likes best. So far the banana cake seems to be the top contestant.

And so we come to today’s recipe.  When you go to the effort of baking a cake, especially if you're not a regular baker, like me, it’s only natural to want to start with the best recipe out there. I searched for the best banana cake recipe and this one stood out from the crowd. It’s an Annabel Langbein recipe. She is pretty much Nigella Lawson of New Zealand, so I trusted her when she said this was the Best ever Banana Cake recipe. And after trying out the cake, I will say this much, it was damn good. I haven't tried many other banana cake recipes to compare it with but I'd say this one would be a hard one to beat!

This cake is just simply delicious and moist. According to Annabel, the secret to a great banana cake is sweet, ripe bananas – the sugar content increases as they ripen, making them sweeter, and of course they are softer and easier to mash so they break down more easily in the cake batter. This is a great way of using up those brown bananas instead of throwing them out. Don’t just take my word for it, go ahead and give this recipe a try and tell me it isn't the best banana cake ever!



Simple Banana Cake
Recipe Source: Anabel Langbein 

Ingredients
250g butter, at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 2 cups)
2 tsp baking soda
½ cup hot milk
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder

Method
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and flour dust your  9inch cake tin. I used my silicon bundt pan for this.
2. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and bananas.
3. Dissolve baking soda in hot milk, add to mixture and stir to combine.
4. Sift in flour and baking powder and fold gently into mixture using a big spoon and a large scooping action to keep the mixture light. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is springy to the touch. Mine was ready in about 50 minutes, but i got distracted and left it in for about 60 minutes! Oops! :) It was a tad bit overdone as you can see in the pics but still tasted awesome.







2 comments:

  1. Honey,
    Tried this cake and turned out very good..only thing is bananas were frozen since it was browning quickly and the batter started curdling once I added it.so I had to alternate between that, milk and flour to maintain the consistency. Wondering what icing wud go wiyh it to make it more appealing for kids...
    -mrudula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mridula :)
      I think the nutella icing would go wonderfully with this banana cake. You can find the recipe here http://tinytotscuisine.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/best-ever-chocolate-nutella-layer-cake.html
      Hope the kids enjoy it!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)