04 May 2012

Creamed Spinach & Egg

BY Unknown IN , , , , , 1 comment

Like all mothers, I want my baby to eat healthy food. But no matter how much I want it, my son begs to differ. Issac loves sweet stuff, so naturally he prefers fruits to veges. Don't get me wrong, he does eat his veges but only the sweet ones like pumpkin, carrots and sweet potato. Everything else is just met with a disapproving look and absolute refusal to open his mouth for the second spoonful.

But come on, if he gets tired of eating the same vegetables day in and day out, I'm even more bored of cooking the same stuff everyday! So I decided it was high time to introduce something new. Why spinach you ask? Well, the truth be told I was already making some spinach stir fry for our lunch and so I thought why not?

But as usual I was pretty stumped as to how I would make the spinach purée appealing.Then I remembered seeing an ad on TV(Food In a Minute) about creamed spinach. It sounded really good and I gave it a shot. And what do you know, he loved it!!! I was shocked, but there he was, knocking back the mushy spinach like it was the best thing since ice cream. I know, I'm horribly biased but my baby rocks!J

Creamed Spinach and Egg




3 blocks of frozen spinach
2 hard boiled egg yolks
1 3/4 cups full cream or whole milk, or a mix of both
1/4 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 small clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 tablespoons olive oil / unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Pinch of nutmeg

Place spinach in a microwavable bowl. Cook, covered, until wilted, about 2 to 4 minutes. Press or squeeze out the excess liquid.Coarsely chop the wrung-out spinach.

Heat milk or cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until warm. Meanwhile, cook onion and garlic, if using, in the olive oil/butter in another saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the flour avoiding lumps. Add the milk or cream in slowly, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, and simmer until thickened for three to four minutes. Stir in nutmeg, spinach, a pinch of salt and pepper(optional) to taste until heated through.

Purée the mixture by using a food processor or hand blender. The mixture will not be runny but more on the mushier side.

Crumble the cooked egg yolk into the spinach mash and serve while still warm.

Notes
I used frozen spinach as it was the only ones I had on hand. The fresh variety would be much better in taste if you can get them.


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)