08 May 2012

Creamy Zucchini Soup & Daycare

BY Unknown IN , , , , , No comments

This morning when Renju & I dropped Issac off at daycare he didn't cry! This is a hugely major achievement for us. It has taken a long time but I guess he's finally reached that point where he knows that his teachers are not ogres and that they will look after him (well almost!) as much as I would and that at the end of the day I would definitely come and get him.

The most difficult milestone, in Issac's development so far, for me was dropping him off at daycare that first time. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

At first I had thought Issac would do well in daycare as he was a very social baby and definitely loved being around other kids.But I couldn't have been more wrong.Once we arrived at the daycare the poor bub hung onto us for dear life.Naturally I cried my eyes out when Renju and I got back in the car. I was warned about these emotions but back then I thought they were just exaggerating and I really didn't think I would be the one crying.But he has been my whole world for 7 months and now I'm was missing every little smile and tear. I was devastated missing him.


It was a trying day and I couldn't wait until home time rolled over. I was hoping I would come to pick up a happy smiley baby that evening, but no such luck. He was sitting up in a swing and when he saw me he cried his heart out and held his hands out for me to take him.

It took me a while to get over the guilty feeling that was gnawing at me inside. I couldn't help but feel that maybe I was not a fit mother. But slowly(and painfully) he started getting used to the routine.

In the end, we all made it through. Issac now greets me with his coveted smiles when I pick him up and he was still smiling when we dropped him off this morning.

I know it'll get better.  With time, it'll be easier to be away from him. Many many moms do this everyday.  I can too, right?  Time to buck up.

Photo courtesy: http://www.epicurean.com   
Creamy Zucchini Soup

2  zucchinis (refer to Notes)
1 medium potato
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp unsalted butter
1/4 onion, roughly chopped
2 cups homemade chicken stock(refer to Notes)
1/4 cup whole milk or light cream
Dried dill (optional)

Dice the zucchinis and potatoes and keep aside.
In a small saucepan, heat the oil and the butter together.
Add the onions and saute over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until they are golden.
Add the zucchinis and potatoes and toss together, then stir in 1 cup of the stock.
Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Pour in the rest of the stock, then replace the lid and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Finally, remove the lid and turn the heat right up.
Boil the mixture rapidly, spooning off any frothy bits that appear on the surface, until the mixture has reduced by around one third. This step really concentrates and intensifies the flavour of the soup.
Remove from the heat and puree the mixture.
And now for the last step – stir in the milk/cream and the dried dill(if using) and warm through.
Your baby soup is now ready to serve.


Notes
Zucchini is also known as courgettes, Italian squash or vegetable marrow.
There are a lot of easy recipes for baby specific broths out there. These are much better than the ready made store bought ones as you can control what goes into them.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)